Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 Crashes XP (97 SR2)

I have a client running an Access 97 application on a mixed network of W98 SE and XP machines. The application has been in service for several years.

On Tuesday it started crashing on the XP machines. When I was called in I found that just starting Access itself caused the machines to reboot. Two of the machines would start Access if it was the first application to open but this proved to be inconsistent.

XP had been updated about three weeks ago. SP2 has not been applied. I applied all current updates (except SP2) today.
    Access 97 has all available updates as does Office 2000.
    The network is behind a firewall and all machines have AV updated daily. Running AdAware and SpyBot showed remarkably clean systems.
    Nothing has been added to the network for months and nothing would have been put on the XP machines.

I removed Access from one of the machines and reinstalled it cw/updates. The result was unchanged.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 Crashes XP (97 SR2)

It's not something I've seen reported, but there was a recent update to the Data Access components for Windows XP that updated the MDAC to version 2.8 and it's possible that is causing you grief. It's more likely if you are trying to use DAO in complex situations, and also if you are using ODBC drivers. Perhaps someone else has seen something.
    Wendell