5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

How can I tell if a record is locked? (2002 SP3)

How can I tell, in DAO code, if a record is locked?
    I have 2 Dbs using the same data,
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How can I tell if a record is locked? (2002 SP3)

I'm a little confused - do you have two separate front-end databases being used to access data with different forms by different users, or is this one user who has two different forms up that both refer to the same data source? In any event, there isn't a way using DAO to tell whether a record is actually locked, other than trying to edit the record and see if you get a locking error. In general, we always use optimistic locking, which is the "No Locks" option, which means you don't get an error until the record is actually saved. A final question: are your forms both bound to a data source, or are you using unbound forms and DAO to do any editing?
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Both forms are bound.
    The set up is: 2 separate front end Dbs, One I call
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No Locks has nothing to do with Record Level Locking, although it's easy to get confused because of the names. No Locks means that a lock is not applied until you attempt to update the record and it is used instead of Optimistic or Pessimistic locking, which are both applied as soon as you start to edit. Record Level and Page locking are the two different approaches used when actually applying locks.

However, if one of your users is using page locking, then that may very well be the source of the problem. Even if they're both using record level locking, they can't both edit the same record at the same time.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There isn't any easy way to look into a second database and check to see if a particular form is open, much less what record is it on - why not simply put both forms in the same front-end database? Furthermore, one of the basic rules of user interface design in Access - keep open forms down to a minimum. When you start stacking lots of open forms, things can get chaotic in a hurry. We normally restrict it to one open form and allow one pop-up form on top of it when needed.
    Wendell