2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display Name for generated BCC list (2000 SP3)

I'm using automation code to generate a list of email addresses and then place them into the TO line or BCC line of a new email.

When using global distribution lists, the name of the DL appears instead of every single email address. Is it possible to generate and display a name for my on-the-fly distribution list? Is there a property in the Outlook object model that allows me to assign this? I've looked a little in the object model and didn't see one off hand...

Thanks.
    Sarah

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Display Name for generated BCC list (2000 SP3)

Is your distribution list coming from Outlook or from Exchange Server? I think there may be some subtle differences between the two. I can't test Exchange Server, but with Outlook 2K, the Distribution List Name is what shows when I create the mail message, but when it gets stored in my Sent Mail, it has expanded it so I see the name of each recipient. In addition, people who receive it see the complete list of names if the Distribution List is in the To or CC lines - don't know about the BCC, but would expect it to work the same. Does that help? Also, I don't think the Distribution Object is exposed in Outlook 2000 - in 2002 it appears to be although I have never used it. It also doesn't appear to be trivial to retrieve the individual names from the Distribution List in 2002.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Name for generated BCC list (2000 SP3)

We are using Outlook 2000 with an Exchange server.

Yes, what you said is correct about the personal distribution list stored in Contacts. If the distribution list is a global one created in Exchange, the user can't expand that list to see the names, even when in Sent Items. But my lists created by Access are supposed to be dynamic so making global DL'S are not an option.

I don't have Outlook 2002 available here, but I do have 2003. Maybe I'll check the object model of that version...

Anyone else done something like this before with Access/Outlook?

Sarah