5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home all passwords blocked (XP Home)

My friend has somehow gotten XP Home to the point where, even in Safe Mode, we are asked for the Owner account Password. Of course, this has never existed before. In the many Ctrl+Alt+Delete results we've had, we could not even find the Administrator's account or any way to reset the whole mess. Our ISP suggested deleting in DOS any pwl files at the C: level. Any opinions?
    Would going back to the OS disk supplied by the vendor (Gateway) mean elimination of all the non-system files, for instance pictures?
    They have XP Home on other Gateways....can anything be gleaned from them to help us access the system? I tried already creating a Password reset disk from one in the office, to no avail. And we can't seem to get into DOS anyway...so I'm thinking about a DOS boot diskette...does that make sense? Can I create that from one of the other Gateways around the house?
    This all seemed to start with the download of SP2 over a dial-up line. But when I saw the Safe Mode desktop it looked as if SP2 had gotten there OK, since it was noted in the title line at the top.
    If this seems disjointed a little, remember they've been pounding away at CAD for days and heaven only knows what's there now. Thanks much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: XP Home all passwords blocked (XP Home)

What are you trying to do? If no password was assigned just hit enter.
    Using a system restore CD will wipe out everything and restore to the way it came from the vendor.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The whole problem is that hitting entere doesn't work. That's the standard solution. Nothing seems to get us past the "Owner" login. I've never had to use the Recovery Console concept...can I get at that from the OEM CD, bypassing the C dirve mess?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

The whole point of the question was that if you don't post what you've tried no one can tell and must ask. If by OEM CD you mean a Gateway Recovery CD then it is unlikely the recovery console is there. You'll have to check the CD or contact Gateway. If it is a complete XP product CD then you can get to it by starting an install and selecting recover at your first opportunity. BTW, there is no such thing as PWL files in XP - they are part of a Win9x/ME installation. If the drive is FAT32 you can access it with a Win9x DOS boot disk. If it is NTFS you'll have to hunt up an NTFS DOS driver for a Win9x boot disk. This Google search will give you places to look.

Joe
    Joe