New Lounger
    Thanks

Team members updating Access database (2003)

Hi - a simple query. I'm pretty new to access, and have designed my database from scratch. It's working well for me, and to date, I've just been adding my new lines in the main table. I know I should really use a form for this, and in time, I will do this. But now I want to have one other team member update the database, as well as me. What's the best way for this? Does the other team member need a copy of Access 2003, just to update the database? My team member will never need to change the design of the tables or queries or forms, just enter data.

Thoughts?

Thanks once again...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Team members updating Access database (2003)

Access tables are only accessible through the Access application or through an interface like VB that runs the Jet engine to manage the files. If you have a copy of the Visual Studio Tools for Office Systems, the Access Developer Extensions will allow you to create a runtime version of your application, which won't require Access on the other machine. Otherwise, they have to have a copy of Access on their machine.

I most definitely do NOT recommend the route you're taking, however. Entering data directly in tables means that there is no error handling, no data validation, and no way to protect yourself from shooting your own foot or from having it shot by your teammate. There is also no way to make sure that related records get created and populated. If you're going to take that route, you might as well use Excel to store your data, since it is probably already on the other machines in your office.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

HI Charlotte. Thanks for your reply. If I get a copy of Access, all will be well, providing I use secure forms for data entry. Is this correct?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Amen to everything Charlotte said - get your team mate a copy of Access, but design a form for doing data entry post haste, and put in the basic validation routines to make sure you don't end up with nonsense data.
    Wendell