3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Open With' list

AFter several crashes and re-installs of Win98SE in a Dell Optiplex GX110 (pentium II in this one), I have uninstalled and reinstalled several programs, including the whole Win98SE OS. The problem was increasingly slow responses to the mouse
    and uploading/downloading files from the interernet, including Windows Updates that flat out failed. Now, one program
    is not shown on the list of "Open With" screen, and my Jpeg extensions (now identified by the marker for JPG) will not open
    from the My Pictures folder within My Documents. I've tried to change the file associations, but can't get them to work. This last is not Windows fault.......I just can't do whatever it takes to make a change. (Probably just a senior 'moment').
    Is there something I could learn about getting the missing program listed, and changing the JPG to whatever Internet Explorer
    will accept? The program that's not listed works, and Image Expert will open the files and display the images....it's just that I have to put the images into this program to see them - before jpegs would display in Internet Explorer right from the folder.
    Gifs and Bmps are working OK - It's just the Jpegs.

Thanks

Re: 'Open With' list

I hope I'm reading you correctly....

Have you tried right-clicking a jpg, selecting Open With > Choose Program..., selecting the one you want to open it with and select the option 'Always use this program'?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I would use the method Leif suggests to change the default association.
    Just in case you need to change it manually though, here are my Windows Explorer settings under 98SE.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by rabee on 23-Sep-04 06:59. New information)</P>Thanks to you guys for the help. I couldn't get a right-click/menu to choose from, so I made the Image Expert program the default Jpeg imager by uninstalling/reinstalling the Image Expert program, so that part of the problem is solved, even if it is a little bit of a hassle. I wonder if Windows 2000 is any better than Win98SE?? I've had nothing but problems with it since I installed in way back.........I know Graphics problems are conflicted with this one - could 2000 be any better?
    EDITED: I just found the program that "disappeared" in the Add/Remove Listing after two days, and a "blue screen of death"-click anY key to continue'........and there it was, back into the listing. Just to let you know that things have finally filtered their way through Win98SE's mystical filing system (?).........At least I know it's not just me! Again, thanks for the help.