Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can not change or add phone numbers to contacts (XP SP3 / Win 2K SP 2)

I admit it has been quite some time since I have had to add a phone number to a contact in my Outlook XP, but this error threw me. I am getting a dialog box saying that the "phone and modem control panel can not be opened" when I try to add or change a phone number for a contact.

I have attached a screen print of the dialog box.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I applied SP 3 to my Office XP. I still have the problem.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can not change or add phone numbers to contacts (XP SP3 / Win 2K SP 2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 21-Sep-04 10:52. )</P>Do you have telephony services set up? Does <!mskb=836560>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 836560<!/mskb> help? Have you gone into Start | Settings | Control Panel | Phone & Modem Options to ensure that there are valid settings?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can not change or add phone numbers to contacts (XP SP3 / Win 2K SP 2)

Allow me to say: This lounge rocks ! Thank you. The MSKB article did indeed solve the issue.

As an FYI, the way I got into this mess was after installing SP2 for Win XP Pro. I have gotten an annoying problem related to the firewall. I tell Windows that I will monitor it myself. The next day when I boot up my computer, I get the warning message again about my computer not being protected. I check the security settings, and my setting is gone. So I set it again. Next day, same thing. This has been going on since I installed SP2. Not a biggie, but darned annoying.

So I sent an e-mail to Microsoft explaining the problem. I was told to delete several registry keys and life would be better.

What happened is that all of my configuration changes were lost, and I still have the problem with the firewall warning ! And it seems that the keys I deleted are causing other errors. This could be a while in the repairing. And heaven only knows what it will take to fix that darned firewall problem.

Oh well. After this experience, I am going to live with it for a while. Atleast I am NOT going to ask Microsoft what to do about it!