Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Office 2003 before or after XP SP2 upgrade (MS Office 2002)

I have the following PC config: WinXP Pro SP1 with MS Office 2002 (includes Outlook, Word, etc.) Without question, I want to upgrade to XP SP2. However, I also recently purchased MS Office 2003 Teacher and Students ed. but haven't installed it as yet. So my question is which upgrade path to choose:

1. Do nothing [*not* a good option.]
    2. Upgrade Office to v2003, do nothing else.
    3. Upgrade Office to v2003, then update it to its latest version (I think its SP1), then upgrade the OS to XP SP2 after a few days.
    4. Upgrade Office to v2003, then upgrade OS to XP SP2, then updade to Office SP1 after a few days.
    5. Upgrade OS to XP SP2, then after a few days upgrade Office to v2003 and then to Office SP1.

I also have ZoneAlarm Pro v4.5 (I know - I haven't updated it in a long time). Should I update this before doing anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Install Office 2003 before or after XP SP2 upgrade (MS Office 2002)

There's really no advantage (or disadvantage) to any particular order. I would certainly want to get XP-SP2 installed as soon as possible, simply for the number of fixes and security updates included. As for Office 2003, is there any reason for waiting "a few days" to install or waiting then to update it to SP1? As long as the XP-SP2 install is successful, why not go ahead and install Office 2003 and update it to SP1 immediately.

ZoneAlarm 4.5 is a different matter. According to <!mskb=884130>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 884130<!/mskb>, this version has some compatibility problems with SP2. You may want to uninstall it before applying SP2 and then install the latest version following SP2.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Office 2003 before or after XP SP2 upgrade (MS Office 2002)

I prefer to do updates one at a time and wait a few days in between, as this helps to identify the cause if something goes horribly wrong shortly afterwards.

On my PCs I installed Windows XP SP2, then waited a few days and updated to Office 2003, with an immediate upgrade to Office 2003 SP1

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Office 2003 before or after XP SP2 upg

Not to throw in more confusion, but with respect to ZA 4.5. I still use that version (with Win 98) because I've heard of some problems & discontent with later versions. You can read about them in the software forum if you're interested. At least some of the knowledgeable Loungers have switched to Sygate. I suppose you could always upgrade ZA &, if problems arise, switch to Sygate.

P.S. I prefer option 5 (althought I rarely wait).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all the people who replied. I think I will upgrade ZA Pro to the latest version first, then XP to XP-SP2 and finally (aftter a few days), upgrade to Office 2003 and later to Office-SP1.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would go along with option 5 also.

As for ZoneAlarm, if you have version 5.1.011.00 (current version), then you will have no problem with SP2

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.