Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Word files into InDesign (2002)

What's the best way to import a Word document into InDesign?

[The rest of this e-mail is just some background information.] My normal worklow involves Quark. I use a Word add-in to convert all the styles and direct font formatting into Quark tags and save it as an xtg file. Then production imports that file into a Quark file where styles with the same style names have already been set up. It works great.

Next week I'll be turning over a project to a different production department (random executive management decision), and they don't use Quark; they use InDesign. This production department hasn't ever handled a project like this. They typically handle projects like flyers and broadcast e-mails, which they develop from start to finish, not 300 page books. So aren't sure what type of file they'd like me to turn over, or how they'll convert the file, or any such thing.
    Michael Coleman
    BOMI International

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Word files into InDesign (2002)

I suggest saving the file to RTF from Word, and then importing that.

In addition, pay special attention the import options within InDesign (covered in the documentation). There are several important settings for how InDesign should handle things like smart quotes, etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. Things like smart quotes, delta symbols, superscript numbers (I've used ASCII characters for superscript 2 and 3--Alt 0178 and 0179, respectively) are the main concerns I have.
    Michael Coleman
    BOMI International

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I happened to see a design site mention this. Seneca Design. http://www.senecadesign.com/tips-pubs/arch...g-archives.html
    I'm not an InDesign user but you can look at DG#25, maybe 27,28 and decide for yourself.
    J.Till