New Lounger
    Thanks

Outline View & Body Text (2002)

I may have the wrong impression, but in my mind one creates and outline and then creates a document from the outline. My question is, how do I take an outline developed in Outline View to a place where I can display only the paragraphs I've written from my outline. I presume that this is somehow done by writing the paragraphs as Body Text. However, I cannot find a way to view the paragraphs without the outline also showing.

Many thanks,
    Keith Harris

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outline View & Body Text (2002)

You may be thinking of a different kind of outline. There isn't a view that lets you hide the headings and show only the body text.

Outline view in Word is a way of showing and manipulating the heading structure of the document where you can choose to show the parts in between the headings or shrink them so you can see more headings on the page. In this view you can edit the document freely.

Normal and Page Layout views show the headings and the content in between and don't allow the rolling up that outline view does. You can move sections around in the document using these views but outline view is better suited to this kind of activity.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Re: Outline View & Body Text (2002)

If you don't need the headings in the outline for any other purpose, you could go into the Styles dialog and format them as hidden text (this may affect multiple styles, make sure it doesn't save this to your normal template). Then use Tools>Options...>View and check the box to display hidden text on the screen, and on the Print tab, clear the hidden text box so thoe headings don't print. Then you can get a preview of the heading-less document in Print Preview, but you'll still have them in there while editing so that you know "where you are" in the outline. Does that help?