Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Reboot Problem (XP Home)

Any ideas out there as to what causes a computer to reboot about every 15 minutes?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Reboot Problem (XP Home)

Could be a bad driver. Could be overheating. Could be bad memory. Could be a virus/trojan. What have you eliminated?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

The user has hiccups.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You're right -- it could be almost anything. Actually, it's not my computer but one at the local senior citizens center used for training. Starting with the last one first, the computer isn't connected to the Internet, and no software has been installed, so I doubt that it is a Trojan or Virus. Haven't looked into a bad memory problem although the system works great when running. I guess overheating is the best bet, as I have seen a warning about this at least once. I'll try to pursue that possiblity. I don't know about any driver problem, these computers have just had a second hard drive installed with XP on them, so all the drivers should be new.

Thanks

Chuck,
    You seem to be contradicting yourself here.
    If they have just had a second HD with XP installed on them, then there certainly is software installed.
    Because the drivers may be newly installed doesn't mean that they can't be corrupt.
    Are all of the XP updates on them?
    Is this the only one of what seems to be a few machines, having the same problem?
    So far as overheating, open it up and make sure all the fans are running. While you have the case open, leave it open and run without the covers in place.
    Have you Right clicked My Computer>Properties>Start up & Recovery settings>unchecked automatic restart?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck

Hard drives churn out quite a bit of heat! Two churn out about twice as much. (Surprise!)

As Bob says, open up the case and see whether a searing blast of superheated air takes off your eyebrows.

Then try directing an electric fan (OK, Al, an AMD - air-moving device!) set to "Quite Fast, Really" at the innards, and leave it pointed there, and see whether the reboot takes place in 15 minutes. Beware the initial cloud of expelled dust and fluff, though...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Srart | Run, type

eventvwr

and hit Enter. What do you see under Application and System? Are there blue "i"s only?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions; however, the problem has become moot because the hard drive completely died today! So it looks like it's time for a new one.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, there you go! It would seem it was a heat problem, but within the drive itself...

Hope you can rebuild everything as it was from the extensive backups taken before the event.....

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...