Thread: DUN dominance

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DUN dominance

W98SE:
    Is there a way of disabling these two characteristics of dial-up-networking (seems to be tapiserv.exe) that takes command of the console such that
    (a) until a connection is established, outlook express is unable to respond to any keystroke or mouse action
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] when a connection is lost, a dialog box appears and takes unto itself every keystroke I intended to go to the current application?
    All help gratefully received!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DUN dominance

I'm not sure there is a way to change the first behavior. Often, loading an application uses enough resources that nothing else responds, despite the "multitasking".

Regarding the second point, go into Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections tab & uncheck "Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    Hope this helps,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

With regards to (a) is it possible to get any response from OE if it is operating in Offline mode?

Alan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you once again, Paul:
    No other applications I use hold on to control when they aren't actually using much CPU - while DUN is waiting for server to respond, Process Explorer reveals that CPU is 90% to 95% idle.
    The "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" box was already unchecked - but disregarded!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Alan:
    There was only a problem when dialling and while waiting for a connection - all all other times, including the verification and logging-on phases, OE and the entire system responded to the console properly. I suspect these two antisocial characteristics of DUN were related to corruption in the registry. I have loaded a six-month-old registry back-up and rebooted, and now I don't lose response. I hope things will be back to normal when I lose connection in future, too.
    Sydney.