3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FTP problem with Zone Alarm

Post moved to its own thread and subject changed by moderators to assist future searches

Good article about the importance of firewall. I am a user of ZA and I am wondering if you can help me with a problem. I tried the Zone Alarm Forum and got nowhere.

When I attempt to connect to my ftp sitewhile ZA is running, it appears that I get to the site anbd while trying to look for my contents I get the following message:

200 Type set to A
    200 Port command successful
    425 Can't build data connection. Operation already in progress.

If I shut down ZA I get through with no problem. Is this message being generated by ZA or from my ftp site?

If it is a ZA message, there must be some setting in ZA that I can set in order to get throough to my ftp contents. If the message is not being generated by ZA, but from my ftp provider, I will call them.

Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FTP problem with Zone Alarm

What ftp software are you using?
    Can you try using ftp from a command prompt to see if it works any better.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just type the ftp address in the address bar of ie to get to the site and then log on with my user name and password.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

All those numbered messages tend to come from the FTP process, although the ones you mention aren't found within the (XP Pro) FTP.EXE file...

The obvious question is: does it work properly if you Very Briefly turn off Zone Alarm?

John

Later... Sorry, you've already tried that!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ccan you let us know the EXACT version of Windows and Internet Explorer you are running (from help about). For example I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 on Windows XP Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2).

What happens when you open a command window and use an ftp command to access your site? Have you tried this yet? Just Start > Run > CMD then type ftp www.yoursite.com and enter your username and password when prompted. Type the command ls to get a list of all the files on your site.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633, xp Version 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 Service Pack 1
    Tried entering set through the CMD line. Get to site and get the same message posted earlier. Tried the CMD with and without the Is

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try configuring Internet Explorer to use passive ftp, this often helps with firewall problems.

Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Use Passive ftp (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility).

If this doesn't work then you could try adding the ftp site to ZoneAlarms list of trusted sites.

StuartR

PS the ftp command to get a directory listing is lowercase LS, not IS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set to passive ftp and can get access to site without shutting down ZA. Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Great, now you can go back to the Zone Alarm forum and post the solution to help others.

StuartR