3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook formats - Rich Text versus HTML (Outlook 2000)

I am running Win2000 with all service applied and Outlook 2000 with all service applied.

I am having trouble with some of my correspondents being able to read my messages. This happened once before and I am pretty sure it happened when the recipients were running Outlook Express. This happened at least 2 years ago - so details are fuzzy.

At that point, I think we found that it was because I was sending in "Rich Text" Format and they were expecting HTML.

I remember that I converted to HTML and the problem went away, but for some reason I made a conscious decision to revert to "Rich Text" Format. Haven't got the foggiest idea why I made the decision or how I changed.

My current Outlook New message shows in the Blue Bar that I am using Rich Text format. I cannot figure out how to convert to HTML - it may be in MS Word since I am using that as an editor for Outlook.

Two basic questions -
    1) How can I change to HTML - is the option in Outlook or MS Word???
    2) Which way is a better way to go - in other words, what are the advantages of HTML versus Rich Text - and vis versa??

Thanks

Tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook formats - Rich Text versus HTML (Outlook 2000)

The HTML option is in Outlook under Tools | Options | Mail Format tab | Compose In This Message Format drop-down.

Many of us are prosyletizers for plain text actually, because RTF is not always understood outside of Microsoftland, and HTML can carry malicious code. However, with good virus scanning at both ends, HTML is going to give you more composition choices than plain text, and it is more likely to be translate to other email clients than RTF.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook formats - Rich Text versus HTML (Outlook 2000)

Thanks - I am resending some of the stuff they couldn't read using HTML - hopefully this solves the problem

Tom