3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Template Add-Ins (Word XP)

Hi again.
    I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the ways add-in templates can usurp your menu options, especially those that are in a document-template (as opposed to those in NORMAL.dot.)
    I developed a template (not a start-up template, but a regular document template) that adds a menu at the end of the Menu Bar, immediately to the right of the HELP menu. Today, I installed Acrobat 6. Now, when I open documents based on my template, or when I open the template itself, I noticed that my menu isn't there. What IS there are two menus from the Adobe add-in template: "Adobe PDF" and "Acrobat Comments". (I don't mean to imply that they're only there when I open MY template, but rather that they've obscured my own custom menu.)
    When I disable the PDFMaker add-in, lo and behold, my menu re-appears. To be fair, I have several add-ins in my startup folder, and I've noticed this behavior with another template, too. (I've since retired that template!)
    So, I guess what I'm REALLY after is an explanation or background of who/what get's dibs on the toolbar, and why some cancel out the menu's of others. I know that the ideal solution would be for me to add the menu (via VBA) on the fly, but that's a little more coding than I have time for right now.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template Add-Ins (Word XP)

Hi Mike:
    See How Word Resolves Conflicts.
    Cheers,

Thanks

There is some kind of problem with the Adobe template. It does interfere in some manner with menu and toolbar changes in other templates. Even if you've already started Word and let Acrobat establish its toolbar, and then open a document with a template that customizes a commandbar, it somehow is blocked. Unload the Acrobat template and everything works fine. Very frustrating, and other than not autostarting the Acrobat template, I'm not aware of a solution.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you could add AutoOpen and AutoClose routines to your template, making the Adobe commandbar disappear / reappear with something like (don't know actual name of commandbar):

Commandbars("AcrobatBar").Visible = False / True

I don't have the Acrobat add-in installed, so I cannot test it myself.