Star Lounger
    Thanks

network cable unplugged message (windows XP 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.04

Continually receive false message that "network cable is unplugged"
    using USR 8054 router, with latest firmware, 8054-v144b12.
    There is no cable unplugged. The problem occurred both before and after installation, to-day, of new router firmware.
    I read, on one site, a suggestion that it may be because the network cable is not a cross-over cable.
    But the cable is the same as supplied with the router and the probl;em did not deem to occur before installation of SP2

Thanks

Re: network cable unplugged message (windows XP 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rt

If everything is working properly, i.e. you can connect to the internet and to other computers (if you have set up a small network), then you probably have a second extraneous network connection. Open My Computer>My Network Places>View network connections. You may or may not see the router in here, but you will see one or two Local Area Connections under Lan or High Speed Internet Connections. If you hover your mouse over each of them, one will be your actual NIC and the other will be something else. Simply right click on the second one and disable it. I had a similar situation when I installed my router. Prior to the router, I used software from my ISP to connect to the DSL modem and everything was fine. However as soon as I installed the router, I received the same message. Simply disabling the LAN connection that had been set up by the ISP software solved the problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: network cable unplugged message (windows XP 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rt

If you are running with the hibernation on, it can kill the the connection. Then the computer will think that the cable is not there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: network cable unplugged message (windows XP 5.

You only need a crossover cable in very unusual circumstances, such as connecting two computers without using an intermediate hub, switch, or router, or connecting a hub, switch, or router that does not have a manual or autosensing uplink port to another hub, switch, or router. So I think you can rule that one out. You might want to reboot everything...