Thread: Copying Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Files

We have just realised that we are unclear about the effect of dragging and dropping files and folders. Any clarification gratefully received. I thought you could not "accidentally" replace a newer file version with an older version.

Start by taking a bunch of files of mixed ages, and drop it onto a folder with some of the same file names, but with a mixture of newer same and older dates for them.
    When it hits the same filename does it always challenge, or only if older or same? if you answer to that yes or no then it will challenge you on the next one. If you answer yes-to-all does it then apply the yes to literally all, or only all with the same date relationship and challenge you for the first with any other relationship? What happened to no-to-all?

Now consider dropping a single or multiple level directory. there is a different challenge at the directory level, but what happens below this?

Our initial conclusions suggest that you can, in fact over-write a newer file version with an older on by answering yes-to-all at the file level or directory level.

but is this actually formally documented anywhere, and are there any add-ins of utilities which protect against this situation?

Mike C

Thanks

Re: Copying Files

At the file level, you will always be prompted if there are duplicate file names . The filedate really has nothing to do with it. Whether or not the file is newer, older or the same date, you will be prompted to confirm if you want to replace the original file with the file being copied or moved.
    At the folder level, if the folder being copied (or moved) has the same name as the destination folder, a new structure will be created below the destination folder, i.e. it won't overwrite the existing folder.
    Don't know of any add-ons or utilities that will prevent this.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Files

Thanks a lot- that dispels one illusion I have lived with for many years. I dred to think how many time I have assumed that it distinguishes between versions

Mike C