4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-Installation (Windows 98/IE 6.0)

My IE has ceased to display any web addresses, always giving This page cannot be displayed.
    My dial up connection through Earthlink is working fine and I can access the Web using
    Netscape 7.1.

I have tried to re-install using ie6setup.exe. After agreeing to the licence, and choosing Install
    Now - Typical set of components, it says the most recent version is already installed. I chose
    Reinstall all components.

I get a Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Internet Tools box that says "Preparing Setup
    Processing information needed for installation. Setup is preparing to update Windows.

I then get a Windows Update Setup message box saying that setup needs to download additional
    files and I choose to download the additional files.

I then get a Windows Update Setup box saying that "setup was unable to download information
    about available installation sites. Setup may have been unable to use your current proxy server
    settings. Click Advanced if you know your proxy settings. The network may be busy; you can
    retry now or if you continue having this problem, please try Setup at a later time."

I have tried to download at difference times over several days. I have also clicked the Advanced
    button in the Windows Update Setup box and disabled "Connect using a proxy server.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Re-Installation (Windows 98/IE 6.0)

I believe Windows 98 had an option to "remove" IE6 - as it shipped with IE 5.5. Have you tried this option - which should be in Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs? HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

When you click on add/Remove it gives you 3 options
    Add a component
    Repair IE
    Restore the previous Windows configuration

Repair IE produces Internet Explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please run Setup again to reinstall
    all components.

The detail sections said that 2 dlls were not up to date. I searched on the Microsoft Web site but
    could not find where you could download the 2 dlls:
    Dispex.dll needs to be greater the 5.1.0.4515 mine is 4.0.0.2926
    Scrrun.dll need to be greater than 5.1.0.5010 mine is 4.0.0.2926

The most recent versions of the 2 dlls that I have been able to find are both 5.1.0.4615. Do you know where I can find version greater than 5.1.0.4615?

Tom

Thanks

If scrrun.dll is the VBScript runtime, version 5.1 probably was supplied as part of IE 5.01 or 5.5. You can download an update to all VBScript components (version 5.6) from Microsoft's web site. But this assumes you can access Microsoft's web site. Not sure what that other file is. Maybe Google it.

If your proxy server setting previously pointed at your own computer on port 8080, it probably was set up to run through a software firewall. Do you have Norton Personal Firewall or any other software firewall on your computer that might have been filtering your web connection?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Here's a link to Windows Script 5.6 which is version 5.6.0.8825

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you and Joe. I ran the Windows Script 5.6 and it updated both dlls:
    dispex.dll is 5.6.0.6626
    Scrrun.ddl is 5.6.0.8825

I re-ran the Repair IE and it no longer shows any errors and re-booted as instructed.

I am running Zone Alarm firewall.

I tried turning the Program control off on Zone Alarm and then attempted to re-install IE 6. I still have that same problem in not being able to access the Miscrsoft server. I still have no problem accessing any web site using Netscape 7.1.

Any suggenstions?

Tom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the Web Link.

See reply to Jscher 2000.

Tom

Thanks

Only one other thought. Is the Earthlink account selected under Tools>Options...>Connections?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once again many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. In IE by going to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, the Earthlink connection was set up correctly. However, in checking the Settings tab, I discovered that the Proxy server button was checked. Once I unchecked the "Use a proxy server for this connection...", the problem when away. The connection to the internet using IE now works.

Tom