Star Lounger
    Thanks

Margins gone haywire (Word 2003 - XP)

Hello,

I recently started working on a Newsletter and set the margins to be very close to the pages edge. I have a color printer that will print to the edge. I vaguely remember having a window pop up telling me that the text was too close to the edge of the page and an offer to fix it. I think I told it yes. But now, every time I start a new document, the cursor starts at the very top of the page, even though in Page layout it shows that I should have a 1" margin.

I have deleted the Normal.dot file, but that didn't help. It's still stuck with the cursor indicating that the margin is at the top of the page. I had a lot of customized settings that I lost because I forgot all that was stored in Normal.dot. That I can rebuild.

Another thing is that if I set the margins to 0.5" the cursor drifts off the top of the page. So it seems that for some reason, everything has shifted towards the top of the page and even to the extent of going outside of the page.

Something else that was weird that happened a few weeks ago is that the color of the scroll bar in Outlook changed from othe olive green to a steel gray. Since nothing else seemed to be wrong I didn't worry about it. But since I have deleted Normal.dot, the Normal.dot that replaced it seems to have fixed the scroll bar color in Outlook. I am very confused. :-)

Any suggestions on how I can get my margins straightened out in Word?

Marilyn

Thanks

Re: Margins gone haywire (Word 2003 - XP)

You probably do have a margin of 1" - you have somehow inadvertently hidden the white space. Move your cursor to a little above the very top of the page and it should turn into a double arrow and a "show white space" popup should appear. Click once and the page will display with the complete top margin visible.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

I just returned to make a note I found the very "white space" setting that you mentioned. If only I had discovered it before obliterating all my customized settings. I am assuming there is a good reason for this white space setting other than to keep some of us busy rebuilding our customized menu bar?

I should have just bitten the bullet and come here first to get this simple answer from a much appreciated guru :-) You guys and gals save me time and time again.

Thank you so much for keeping us out of the mire :-)

Marilyn

Thanks

Glad it worked out Marilyn. I assume the only reason for the "white space" setting is to allow users a bit more screen real estate if they wish. Personally, I prefer the white space visible.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Marylin,
    Next time you have trouble and suspect Normal.dot, instead of deleting it, just rename it or move it to a different location. If the problem isn't solved, you can restore the old Normal.dot. Or you can copy macro's, commandbars, autotext from the old Normal to the new one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tip. Actually at some point in time I knew that, but it's amazing how the memory doesn't always work when under stress :-) Maybe your little reminder will stick with me for awhile.

I have to say I am a big Microsoft fan. Been using it ever since I started using computers ten years ago. And as much as I hear about its "bugs", the only "bugs" I have found were in my own head. 99% of the time when there is a problem, it is user generated (at least in my case).

Thanks again for the help,

Marilyn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One other thing I would suggest is to keep backups of normal.dot. I actually keep 4, named normal.bk1 etc. Every time I make a change, I replace one of my backups. That way, if something happens to your normal template, you can replace it with a recent backup.