3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook hangs when receiving emails (Outlook 2000)

I've done some searching and found plenty of articles here about Outlook hanging upon sending etc. For one of our users, though, Outlook hangs when she is typing an email and receives an email at the same time. If she receives a small email (no attachments, just text), Outlook will hang for just a second, then whatever text she was typing will "catch up" with her and she can go about creating her email. If it is a large email (with an attachment, >1mb or so), Outlook hangs completely and stops responding. If you flip over to Task Manager, nothing funny is going on in there. CPU usage looks normal, not pegged out as it normally does when an app locks up, and the only thing running high is System Idle at 95. The program never unlocks, and as a result, you have to End Process with Task Manager and she's lost anything that she was typing, because it doesn't save the information as a Draft or anything.

I've tried turning off ALL notifications (cursor changes, notification messages); I've tried turning off any stationary backgrounds; I've checked to make sure no rules are processing up receiving messages; I've even deleted her local user profile --- but none of that has done the trick. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Sat.

Thanks

Re: Outlook hangs when receiving emails (Outlook 2

This is why, for a long time, I had Outlook set to never check mail on its own. To get mail, I had to press F5 or F9. Recent I changed back, and it does make me crazy having to wait for Outlook. Fortunately, it's a fast connection, so the delay usually is brief. I'm not aware of any way to make Outlook give the user top priority. Do other users have a better experience? If so, perhaps her network connection is bad, which can result from (1) faulty NIC in her computer; (2) bad cable from the NIC to the wall; (3) a problem with switch or hub or the port to which she is connected; or (4) something in between.

Added: Sorry, I posted too fast.

Regarding the total lockup, you're saying that Outlook never "times out" so that it can stop checking mail? I suppose this could mean the PST has problems, if the delivery point is a PST. You could try the Inbox Repair Tools (ScanPST.exe). Also, try turning off any mail-stream virus scanner (not the file-access virus scanner) if one is running, or see if you can configure it to ingnore large attachments.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook hangs when receiving emails (Outlook 2

I'm going to try all of these options and I'll try to get back with you and let you know what, if anything, works.

I appreciate the help and direction!