2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viewsonic PS790 Went Black

I have a Viewsonic PS790 19" monitor and use Win98SE. For several days I

Thanks

Re: Viewsonic PS790 Went Black

1] It may need deguassing. It may be be so full of dust that there is a high voltage leakage to earth. It may have reached the end of its useful life - it only takes one component out of several hundred to start failing for you to get problems.

2] Possible, but unlikely if another monitor doesn't exhibit similar symptoms. You could download the latest/re-install the drivers, but it sounds more like a hardware failure to me.

3] Prepare yourself to buy another. The age of the monitor itself doesn't mean too much. If you have been using it for an hour once a week, that is not a lot of use. If you've been running 24/7 for the last 5

Thanks

Robert,
    Your next possibility would be the video card. Since the substitute monitor did not have the same characteristic problem as the original ( shrinking edges ) but needed adjustment the next day, I would sub out the video card , if you have a spare to use. I do not think degaussing is the answer as most tubes that need it display wavy edges and lines through the screen display itself.
    As Leif said, the hours on the monitor count more than the age of the unit. But with 5 years of "average" useage, I would be looking at replacement anyway and if the video card is just as old, it would be a good time to upgrade that also.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif & Bob,

Thanks for your replies. Looks like my monitor really is

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it is not too late, make sure your video card will support the monitor you want. Many new LCD flat panels only have DVI connectors. That means your video card must too. Some monitors have both and some cards have both. I have a Sapphire ATI video card that only has a DVI connector - but they also supplied an adaptor with it. However, that does not mean you can always use an adaptor - the card still must support analog.

Confused? Don't blame you. And soon the new DVI HD connectors will be popular. So look at your video connectors on your PC. If you only have the standard 15 pin, make sure your monitor supports standard 15 pin analog signal.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your input. I kinda figured that might be a problem, but wasn't sure. I've decided to get a whole new Dell system so I won't run into that problem.

Thanks again.

Robert