Thanks

Windows Explorer u/s

I'm not expecting a cleaner or more satisfying solution than a re-install, but would be interested if someone has any idea on the cause...

A friends networked W2K pc boots up OK, he can log onto the network and the desktop starts loading as normal until the sixth or seventh icon in the systray loads. The screen then blanks and redraws, but only four of the icons reappear.
    Attempts to run Windows Explorer, or access the Control Panel or network settings cause the screen to blank and redraw as above. Internet Explorer no longer exists.
    (The pc in question was used by an (ex)employee who obviously didn't practice safe browsing - the whole thing is riddled with spyware. I believe it is not virus related as the networked AV setup seems to be running OK. Unfortunately, without internet access, installing the usual malware cleaners is going to be more trouble than it's worth.)

Ring any bells with anyone?

Incidentally, it is possible to carry out most Explorer tasks - move, delete, rename, create new folder etc. - by using the File Open dialogue box in apps like Notepad and Excel, as long as you change the file type to "*.*".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer u/s

Could you (or someone) put some malware detection software on a CD for installation on the machine without internet access? Maybe if the crap were cleaned off, Explorer would at least run. I had to do something similar one time on my son's computer to get it "clean" enough to run.

Thanks

I don't think it's worth the effort - in the time that would take the OS could probably be re-installed with a better chance of being back to square one with a clean system.

It's really only out of curiosity I asked - I've never come across similar symptoms.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you can fix the known symptom you're probably safest to do a clean reinstall. That's certainly what I recommend to people who have become totally infested.

StuartR