New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Activation problem. (Win XP Pro)

Loaded new Win XP Pro. on my laptop activated it everything went fine, then I loaded same Win XP Pro. on my desktop thinking it was legit to do so (now I understand I can't). My problem now when I turn on my desktop it wants to activate the already activated windows XP, so I went out and bought another Win XP pro. just to use the activation code from it and that code won't work, then when I try to load the newer XP cd it won't reconize it. I tryed to boot it up from the cd drive with the new cd it won't let me. I am using a dell desktop.

Thanks

Re: XP Activation problem. (Win XP Pro)

<hr>I tryed to boot it up from the cd drive with the new cd it won't let me<hr>
    Did you set your CD as the first boot drive in the BIOS? If you did, then there should be no reason why you can't boot from the new CD (unless the drive or the CD is defective). If you can get this far, then perform a clean install (format, then install). This should solve any problems.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried doing what you suggested and it seemed to keep freezing up. I would have to hold the on/off button in to shut it down. I will try again when I get home from work
    tonight and see what happens. I should have the new xp disk in while attempting this, correct?

Thanks

Yes, you need the XP setup disc in the drive. But first, as I mentioned previously, you must alter the BIOS. As soon as you see the Dell logo screen, press F2. This will get you to the BIOS setup screen. Then, change the boot sequence to boot from the CD first (rather than the hard drive). Then, insert the XP CD, exit (and save) the change you made to the BIOS, and then reboot. If the CD (or the drive) is not defective, the computer will boot to the XP installation CD and you can proceed from there. If all works properly (after XP is installed), then load the BIOS setup again and change the boot sequence back to the hard drive as the first device.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. It does not matter, from which CD you are trying to install Windows, as long as they are identical Windows XP Installation CDs. What matters - your license (installation) 25-character key.

2. Activation process is the process of re-verification of your installation key. You can do it through Internet connection (automatically) or by the phone. In the latter you must insert a second 41-character key given you by Microsoft representative. Without activation Windows is allowed to boot up 50 times only. Registration is the process of putting your name into the Microsoft database and not altered your Windows installation.

3. If you have Windows already installed and trying to boot from Windows CD, you have only 5 seconds to hit Enter key, otherwise your computer will be booted up from the hard drive. If you need more time, on Dell computers hit F12 key on the first screen with Dell logo. It will bring you bootup menu. (BTW, John, Dell BIOS accept changes immediately and does not require to save them - just to press Alt-B to reboot.)

4. If you have any problem with loading Windows Setup, check your system memory. Almost certain it was caused by faulty memory module.