Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Booting

Thanks

Multi Booting

If I have one of my partitions set up with Fat32, and the primary partition set up as NTFS, how can I set up selective/multi boot so that I could boot from my Fat32 or the NTFS?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Multi Booting

What OS in what partition?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave:

I run Win2K as my 'core' system on "c" (NTFS). I then have several progs sitting on my drives D & E. I'd like to be able to make (at least) one of these bootable...

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What other OS do you want to use one "This bootable" partition?

Remember that any of the Win 9x, MUST be on the C drive.

Thanks

Dave:

NTFS and Fat32.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks

Dave:

And if NTFS makes the drive "invisible" to Fat32, wouldn't the "D" drive become "C"?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The OS's are Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or XP, which of these do you want to use to make one of the drives "Bootable"?

Or what do you MEAN by "Bootable"?

NTFS will NOT make another drive invisible, but Windows 95, 98 and Me can NOT be installed on a NTFS drive.

Thanks

Dave:

I'm really shooting in the dark here, since I don't know what I'm talking about... But I've seen here in the lounge where you can run various OS's (Linux/Win2K/WinXP?) On the same system, selecting at bootup (?) which OS you want to run.

What I've got is Win2k (NTFS) on my boot drive/partition , and what I want to be able to set up is a choice to start with FAT32, which is on my D: drive/partition .

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One try, you can reformat your hard drive to a FAT32 if you want, but I see nothing gained by doing this. Windows 2K and XP will run on a NTFS or FAT32 drive, but the likes of Windows 95, 98 Me and the old real DOS require FAT16 or FAT32. As for Linux I am not sure if it will run on a NTFS drive or not.

I see NO reason to ever needing to change back to FAT32 unless it was to install a different Operating System that required it. But to do this on any drive other than the C drive, you will require a third party software such a "Boot Magic".

Maybe, if you were to tell us what and WHY you think you need a FAT32 drive, maybe we can continue this.

Thanks

Dave:

For the most part, I can access older DOS stuff by booting from a floppy. But there are times that it would just be a great deal more convenient to boot from a hard drive.

No, I see no need or reason for reversion to FAT32 for Win2K... I was just hoping I suppose that there was a solution similar to the old DOS multi-config, a lot like you have when you install Win2K over a FAT32 formatted disk...

Don't you have this type of option if you install Linux?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You are saying that you boot to DOS, using a floppy and then run the DOS programs that are on one of the hard drives?

A lot of the old DOS programs will run under Win 2k and XP, give us a list of the programs.

I am NOT a Linux user so some one else needs to address that item.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can install Linux on a system containing Windows, but it will not natively read NTFS partitions. Linux has its own file system (NFS) and can read/write to FAT16 natively. You will need to configure it to mount NTFS drives after you have Linux running. Also, it will modify the boot record on your hard drive and will not present you with a pretty OS loader as Windows 2000/XP will.

If you want to tinker with Linux, I strongly suggest trying something like the Knoppix distro to start off. Adding Linux to an existing Windows PC is not simple, it requires some fundamental knowledge of file systems and other minutiae.
    -Mark

Thanks

Dave/Mark:

I think what I'm getting into here is a lot more complicated than anything had planned on. DOS has an easy solution. Win2K sets it up automatically if you're installing over FAT32. When I installed Win2K, it seemed to find any OS's already present, I guess I was looking for some version of same if I set up WIn2K on an NTFS system ... It could coincide with Win98 without giving up NTFS...

Geez, I dunno...

Oh well... thanks for all the help anyways, guys.

Regards,
    Chuck

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you may have a few things confused here.

<hr>Win2K sets it up automatically if you're installing over FAT32.<hr>
    This is a true statement. Windows 2000 will do this if the file system is FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS.
    <hr>When I installed Win2K, it seemed to find any OS's already present<hr>
    This is also a true statement. If Windows 2000 can read the file system present on the hard disk - it must be FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS - it will automatically configure the computer for multiple operating systems. DOS and Windows 95 use the FAT file system, 98/ME use the FAT32 file system. Windows 2000/XP can read FAT, FAT32, and NTFS drives. 2000/XP consider anything running on FAT16/FAT32 to be DOS operating systems.
    <hr>I guess I was looking for some version of same if I set up WIn2K on an NTFS system<hr>
    I think this is where your confusion starts. Windows 2000 will set up multi-boot on a hard drive with NTFS as the file system.
    <hr>It could coincide with Win98 without giving up NTFS<hr>
    I am not clear on what you mean here. Windows 2000 and XP can coincide with Windows 98. In order for this to be true the hard drive partition must be formatted with the FAT file system. Windows 2000 is not the issue; Windows 98 is. Windows 98 is limited in the fact that it cannot read NTFS formatted partitions natively.

So....going back to your question that started this thread:
    <hr>If I have one of my partitions set up with Fat32, and the primary partition set up as NTFS, how can I set up selective/multi boot so that I could boot from my Fat32 or the NTFS?<hr>
    As I understand things from reading the thread, you have your hard drive partitions set up as follows:

<table border=1><td>Drive letter</td><td>File system</td><td>C:</td><td>NTFS</td><td>D:</td><td>FAT32</td><td>E:</td><td>FAT32</td></table>

You would like to be able to dual boot between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 on this machine. This is possible, but not while your C: drive is formatted with the NTFS file system. You can convert the C: drive from NTFS to FAT32 using tools such as PartitionMagic without losing your current Windows 2000 setup. Back up first, if you plan to do this.

The reason that this matters is because Windows 98 cannot read NTFS. If the bootable hard drive in a computer - nearly always C: - is not formatted using the FAT file system, Windows 98 setup will not be able to continue without formatting the non-DOS partition (non-DOS meaning the file system is not FAT).

There are other, more complicated solutions to this, but they also incur more work and a higher risk of losing your data.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark:

You've made it (fairly) clear, albeit depressing, because I see that I (seemingly) cannot do what I wanted. 'cause If I have to re-format 'C' with FAT32, then ... Or are you suggesting that the NTFS partition be something other than 'C'?

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast