5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NIC direct connection

I simply want to connect my office laptop with my home pc. It is a major undertaking to connect these two much less look at files. I managed to reach the laptop from my home with Direct Cable connect but can see nothing, and I don't enjoy uncoupling the printer in order to do so. I have the C drive set for sharing with Everyone, so why don't I see it? What more needs to be done?
    I would prefer to use the NICs, but I cannot find anything directly about simply connecting two units with the NIC, beyond getting a crossover cable. All the articles I find are about getting on the Internet. I may be over complicating this, but it isn't exactly simple. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Re: NIC direct connection

What operating system(s)?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both have XP Pro. BTW I also tried having one search for the other. No soap. Just two units connected together and they couldn't find one another. I believe I have set the firewalls correctly. I wonder if that could be it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You normally have to use a special Ethernet cable called a "Cross Connect" cable - they are designed to do exactly what you want to do, directly connect one computer to the another computer via each computers LAN (RJ-45) card connector. They are commonly used to connect a laptop to a desktop. Radio Shack has them for a few bucks. Best Buy may too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────