Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spam, Rules, and Blackberry (2000/SR1)

I've just been provided with a Blackberry by my company. I also get a lot of spam through Outlook. I don't want to have to go through the spam on the Blackberry. Or, for that matter, when I access email from the server using WebAccess.

First, I've been told that upgrading to Outlook 2003 will help. If I'm currently getting say, 100 spam emails per day, how much reduction can I expect with Outlook 2003? Will it help with WebAccess or just when I'm in the client application?

Second, in the meantime, I've read of different ways to reduce spam in Outlook 2000. One is to set the filter so that if the email is not sent directly to me as "To" or "cc" or "bc", that it should go into the junk folder. However, I've not been able to figure out how to set that rule from the server. I can easily see how to have an action dependent if the email *is* sent directly to me, but not if it is *not* sent directly to me. Any ideas?

I've tried setting up individual rules for topics in the spam subject, but on the server, it appears that I have to set up a different rule for each one; I can't just add the topic to an existing list of topics.

Also, I've tried setting up the list of Blocked Senders, but that doesn't seem to do much good, either, as spammers continue to change addresses.

Bottom line is that any suggestions will be appreciated very very much! I don't mind getting add-in software as long is it helps with the WebAccess and Blackberry issue.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Thanks

Re: Spam, Rules, and Blackberry (2000/SR1)

I assume you are seeing the mail that is on the Exchange Server, and not whatever might be on your PC. In that case, it may be difficult for you to implement an effective spam filtering solution on your own. Some tools are only designed to work with POP3 mail, and all will require that you leave your computer running and logged in in order to filter new mail.

If you're willing to experiment, you might try SpamBayes, an open source program that plugs directly into Outlook. You can find the latest (pre)release here. The Outlook plug-in has its own section in the FAQ.

Right now, I'm satisfied enough with my old filter not to try out SpamBayes, but I think I've seen it recommended here in the Lounge before. Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm currently trying a product called Cloudmark SpamNet for 30 days and so far am pleased with it. It is working on Microsoft Exchange. However, for some reason now, my old Reminders are popping back up every time I open Outlook from the client. I've deleted them many many times but they keep coming back. Any ideas as to how to get rid of them?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Thanks

I'm no good with reminders issues, and I haven't heard about this product before, so I doubt I can help. There is a generic "fix-up" option, the CleanReminders startup switch. If you search CleanReminders on this board, you'll find some comments on what it does and how it might help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I honestly don't remember how I fixed it, but I was finally able to fix the problem.

Caroline