4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chart help (Word97/SR2)

Afternoon -

Need advice, please, on the best way to set up a chart. I started out with tables for the top 3 boxes, then tried using Autoshapes for the rest of the table, but found it very difficult to control and maneuver the placement of the elements. For some reason, the sizing handles would not appear; I get the double-headed arrows; I could not place text between the boxes; cold not select the text to change to change font size.

I then created a Textbox to go almost margin-to-margin where the chart began, and inserted Autoshapes within the Textbox -- but found I could not get the sizing handles; couldn

Thanks

Re: Chart help (Word97/SR2)

I am at home with a newer version, so this is from memory. At work with Word 97 these days when I want to draw something like this I don't do it directly on the page. I go for Insert - Object - MIcrosoft Word Picture. That opens a separate space in which you can do your text boxes, arrows and so on. (A bit like the drawing canvas that comes up by default in newer versions.) You can click on the toolbar that comes up to resize the area of the drawing area to fit what you have done. By doing it this way, when you close that and go back to the main document, the drawing is all one, rather than having a lot of separate arrows, text boxes etc that you have to group together.

To do the percentages, I would insert text boxes too, but remove the borders from them. (Use format text box and the colours and lines tab to do that. Line means the text box border.) You'll want to make sure that you have the drawing toolbar on.

Hope that helps to get you started.

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian -

Thank you for your reply. I will investigate your suggestion of Insert/MS Word Object.

I work in an environment where many editors work on the same document so we are advised to stick to the most basic, "unsophisticated" methods of working. But, I'm certainly intrigued by your suggestion.

With thanks,
    curious

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure exactly how you want to set things up, but...

You can use a table to organize your page. I haven't used Word 97 for some time, but as long as you can merge cells, you can lay out your document. Say you have a 4 or 5 column table & you're in Page Layout view. By placing the cursor over the row or column lines, you can adjust the height or width. If you select a single cell or column & then place your arrow over the column line, you can adjust the width of a single cell. If you turn off gridlines, you can see the beginnings of such a table in the attachment. You can give the appearance of a line between cells by merging cells in the first & third columns & then hiding some of the borders in the second column.

If you want arrows, you'll have to use the Drawing toolbar. Now, you can use text boxes instead of a table. You have to fiddle with the size & placement. I took a look at your document. I can adjust the size & fonts in your text boxes.

1. If you click inside the text box, you'll be able to type text, but you can't type text along an autoshape arrow. If you want, you can draw a text box above the arrow, remove the lines around the textbox, then group them & type text that will appear above the arrow. You'll have to fiddle with it (at least I find that I do).

2. If you click either exactly on the border or inside of a text box or autoshape, you should then see the sizing handles. i.e. you're cursor will still be a double cross arrow until you then place the cursor over the sizing handle.

Hope this helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I hope that you would find that doing drawings the way I have suggested is in fact simpler and easier than having lots of separate drawing objects on the page and trying to keep them together. - Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not really sure what exactly you want, but it think it should look as in the attached document.

As you can see, this is an example of an organisational chart (kept very simple). I created it with the text box and the lines from Autoshapes. When it was ready, I selected all items (with Shift click on each item) and then grouped them using the right mouse click. This makes sure that all is kept together and treated as one item. If you want to edit the chart, select the group, right click and un-group. Make any changes you want and regroup again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, which I shall put to use.

The chart is more complex than my attachment indicated, but I shall go at it again, using your various ideas.

Much appreciated.

Curious