2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

textbox - form (2002)

I want to create a textbox that will calculate the sum of the numbers in another textbox and then store that total in a total field in another table. I know how to code the textbox to add the numbers =sum(scores), but how do I get it to store that number in the control source field (totalscore) for that textbox.
    Or do I have to create one textbox to produce the total and then copy that total to my totalscore textbox. If so how do I copy the number from one field to another.

Thanks

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: textbox - form (2002)

In general, it is not a good idea to store calculated values in a table, because a) it is derived information that can be retrieved from the original data, so it is superfluous, and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] you run the risk that the stored value is not updated correctly.

If you really need to store the total, you could create an update query and run it, or you could use the After Update event of each field that contributes to the total, or the Before Update event of the form as a whole to set the value of the totalscore field.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that I undestand what you are saying; but there are times when I have a subform that updates one table. But I want certain fields from each record to be entered into a second table; would you create an update query to update the second table?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know enough about your setup.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I continue here or begin with a new post item.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your question is not a direct follow-up to <!profile=paulbien>paulbien<!/profile>'s one, it is probably better to start a new thread, detailing your situation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank You; I think I will.