Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP PRO IIS as a PWS only (development only)

I have installed XP PRO (SP1) on one workstation. I want to lock it down as a PWS type server only, for development testing / bouncing scripts off the server. This workstation is a stand-alone, but has a cable connection and am using ZoneAlarm with no hardware firewall. I have read many articles on setting up the IIS, but none of them are specific to this discrete setup. I would like a pointer to articles / books that address this 'used to be easy on 9x / 2000 os's' setup. I do not want to publish from this box or want outside access to the server. I will also, gladly, accept help from this forum, if it is not too much trouble <grin>. I will, of course, need to FTP / publish the files at some later time, and will need those? ports open(able)?. I have purchased several excellent XP Pro books, but nothing specific to this issue in them, but good IIS setup in general. TIA.

Thanks

Re: XP PRO IIS as a PWS only (development only)

Your web server will, by default, listen for connections on port 80. ZoneAlarm should automatically block attempts to connect to port 80 unless you open it up. I don't remember the ZAP dialogs well enough to say where to check, but if you look around, I'm sure you can find it. The main thing is to not trust anything outside your computer or, if you have a local network, outside your local segment. Does this help?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, as far as worrying about hack attacks. But,,,<grin>,,, when I add / install from the cd, there are options to select / deselect items during the install; I know I do not need (or want) smtp, but the others? This is why I was asking for directions to articles / books/ or even a list from you (he asks with some embarrassment) will be appreciated. As noted above, I purchased several xp pro books and each gave limited address to setting up for development only, mostly how to secure it as a real online web server. I hope I am not asking for too much help here. I am not a web admin or net admin <sigh>, so I am just smart enough to be of limited danger to self and bystanders <grin>. And, thank you for your earlier (and future?) response.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As you say, you do not need the SMTP server. You should come to no harm if you install all the other components. You will definitely need the MMC snap-in - which should become available under Administrative Tools. (If you are using the XP-style Start Menu, you may find it simpler to have Administrative Tools shown there - if you do not already do that.)

Sidebar: If you are more than comfortable using Zone Alarm, I would suggest that you stick with it. My experience (a while ago) was that it was a bit inflexible and I ended up choosing the (more configurable) free Sygate Personal Firewall instead.

HTH
    Gre