3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Black Screen on bootup (WinXP Home SP2)

My computer is equipped with removable hard drives on bays and I frequently ghost/clone one drive to another to give me complete backups of data and operating systems. Recently on boot up I have been getting a Black Screen with information that the computer may have been incorrectly shutdown or new software installed. It gives me the option of waiting for a Normal Start or going the Safe Mode route. Waiting for a Normal Start takes about 30 seconds and then it boots Normally. I have tried Ghosting from an uninfected drive and sometimes it boots up without any delay but most times I have to go through the Black Screen routine. This has happened with two other drives. The only programs I have loaded recently were a Garmin Map Source program. In trying to clear up the problem I went the route to Remove Map Source. It came in three separate segments. Two Removed normally but when I tried to remove the third unit I get a screen with the message "Setup.exe has encountered a problem and must close." I have tried to Remove the unit by going to the folder in Program Files and Deleting it but no success.
    Sorry this is so lengthy but hope the detailing will lead to some constructive HELP.

Thanks very much.

Thanks

Re: Black Screen on bootup (WinXP Home SP2)

Two suggestions which might work:
    1) Re-install the Map Source program and then try an uninstall. This often solves problems with incomplete removals.
    2) Have you tried a System Restore to a point in time earlier than the first install of Map Source?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Black Screen on bootup (WinXP Home SP2)

Thanx, I'll try the Reinstall - Remove treatment. Also the System Restore route.