New Lounger
    Thanks

Pull quote in word (M O 2004)

I am supposed to give instructions on how to insert a pull quote with rules in word
    I don't even know what a pull quote is
    Somebody wan to help? thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pull quote in word (M O 2004)

A pull quote is a piece of text placed apart from the rest of the document, usually with a horizontal line above and below it (the rules). One way to create it is as follows:
    - Create a table consisting of only one cell.
    - Type the text (quote) within the cell.
    - With the insertion point in the table cell, select Format | Borders and Shading.
    - Make sure that changes will be applied to the table, and remove the left and right border lines.
    - Click OK.
    - Select Table | Table Properties...
    - In the Table tab, select Wrap. There is a button to specify whether the table will be on the left or on the right.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mamy,

You often see pullquotes in newspapers and magazines, when they display a quote from someone in the story, or some other excerpt, in large type floating within the rest of the story. This is especially common in the columns on the op-ed page.

It's a way to "pull" a "quote" from a story and use it to draw in readers as an additional entry point to the story (and just as commonly, as a way to fill out the space allotted to a story when it's too short).

Thanks

In case other readers with older versions of Word read this I thought I would add something. Hans's approach would be fine in later versions of Word where you can wrap text round tables. In earlier versions (and I appreciate mamy has a recent version) you can't do that and I would do it with a text box rather than a table cell.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Why not just use a "Text box" and place it where you want it. The main body of text can be wrapped around it if needed. The frames can be changed to be displayed as needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.