2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Menu items dissapearing (Office 2003)

Hello,
    Strange thing. I have menu items that dissapear when I am in one document but they are still there in other documents. For example Save as does not appear under File in one document. When I open another document it is there. Same thing with Insert Symbol. First time something like this happens. Any clue except that I am loosing my mind.

tks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Menu items dissapearing (Office 2003)

First thing to try:
    Select Tools | Customize... and activate the Options tab. Tick the "Always show full menus'' (or something like that) check box.
    If that doesn't help, it might be a feature of the template the document is created from, or even of the document itself. Select Tools | Customize... and activate the Toolbars tab. Select Menu Bar, then click Restore... This will remove ALL menu customizations.

Thanks

Re: Menu items dissapearing (Office 2003)

Toolbars and menus can be customed in documents and in attached templates. Word tries to "merge" the changes with whatever is in Normal.dot, and this can result in differences when you switch between documents. It's more obvious with a floating custom toolbar than with a menu, but it's the same idea. Now, I don't know why a template or document would intentionally disable/hide Save or Insert Symbol. Could there be some kind of protection on the document??