3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

stop chkdsk from running (XP XP1)

My 60G master hard drive is partitioned into a system partition (FAT) and three NTFS partitions. Whenever I boot up, chkdsk runs on the second partition (E) stating that the volume is dirty. However it comes up with no report of problems. Have been unable to run the Seagate disc diagnosis tool completely- it tells me that the system partition is OK, but that there are file problems on the other partitions on that drive.
    Am unable to run Diskeeper Pro on the E partition, as it won't run because chkdsk is set to run at next bootup. Diskeeper will run on the other partitions on that hard drive.
    Can I disable chkdsk so that I can check the partition for fragmentation?
    Any advice on dealing with one problem partition on a drive which otherwise seems OK? I will take this latter query to the hardware board if that is more appropriate.
    Many thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: stop chkdsk from running (XP XP1)

Run chkdsk with /r option (click Start | Run, type

chkdsk e: /r

and hit Enter). Chkdsk will perform two additional steps (5 instead of 3 without /r switch) and remove a flag bit - next time you will not be prompted to run chkdsk.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: stop chkdsk from running (XP XP1)

Thanks kaplinb- I had tried that command through Run, but it wouldn't coooperate. Ran it via a command prompt and it cleared up the problem . All seem well now with that partition.
    Any explanation for the difference in response between using Run and the command prompt via command prompt function?