Thread: Find dialog

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Find dialog

I'm hoping that it's possible to open the Find -> Files or Folders dialog, from a command line typed into the Run dialog. It appears that Find is associated with IE, so I guess it would be "iexplore ...something or other". I don't need to pass arguments like the search parameters, just open the empty dialog.

Any ideas appreciated.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Find dialog

Hi Alan:
    I've never tried to use it from the command line, but what's wrong with just pressing F3?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No good to me Phil. I want to open it from a VB script and use the reference to the object.
    For instance, I can use
    Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    and then set properties on the IE object. I need the equivalent for the Find dialog.

Edited - I'm at a bit of a loss as to what this dialog belongs to now. If I hit F3 when IE has the focus, I see that the dialog belongs to IEXPLORE.EXE. If I do the same thing after double-clicking the taskbar, it belongs to EXPLORER.EXE. How exactly does this thing fire?

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I can't solve the problem with your script. With respect to F3, it's a hotkey, but not a global hotkey. That is, when the focus is in Windows (taskbar, desktop, etc.) it opens Find. But it will operate differently in other applications. There are some hotkeys that act globally. e.g. if you have a desktop shortcut to Word & assignAlt+Ctrl+W to it, then that will open Word no matter what application has the focus.

Thanks

Does this thread - Folders Open In Search as Default - give you any ideas?

Presumably you are wanting to specifically open the "Find" window rather than run the search using VB?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil. I understand the hotkey mechanisms involved. I only wish I could see what the hotkey(s) were firing - be it F3, Winkey + F or whatever. In the interim I've discovered this question to be close to the impossible quest.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif. Unfortunately that thread, and the associated links, didn't really provide the info I'm seeking; only the solution to a (XP) problem. The closest I've found is the default action associated with a .FND fndfile file extension:
    command = "C:WINDOWSExplorer.exe"
    ddeexec = "[OpenFindFile("%_1", %_I)]" *

* remove the _ characters, inserted in the hope that the % tags won't cause a short circuit.

But I don't know anything about that format, or how to use it. Running a .fnd file (an empty text file) will certainly do the job of opening the dialog, but it's probably not the best way to achieve it.

Alan