2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph Mark Question (Word XP)

Please take a look at the attached word file's last paragraph mark (make sure the show/hide is on) and you'll notice a dot to the left of the last paragraph mark. What does that dot represent and why can't I backspace to delete paragraphs above it?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Paragraph Mark Question (Word XP)

The mark to the left of the paragraph mark is used by Word to indicate some kinds of added formatting (though it's hard to track the details down in the documentation). This para is set as Outline level 1, and has Widow/orphan control off, whereas the other paras are body text and have widow orphan control on. The other paras have no proofing that is, they are set as 'do not check spelling or grammar'

However, looking at it in page layout view (print layout view it's called in some versions), there is a screen shot (from some program I don't recognise) as a graphic. Deleting that makes it possible to change what doesn't want to change in the offending para. When I opened your doc it was in Normal view, and graphics don't show.

To summarise, the odd behaviour of the para is the result of the presence of the graphic which was not visible in Normal View.

Hope that helps.

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph Mark Question (Word XP)

Helps??? It's perfect! Thank you. I'm embarrassed that I didn't realise that I was looking at the document in normal view rather than my favorite print view. The graphic is anchored to that paragraph, which is why it couldn't be manipulated. Get rid of the graphic and everything works fine.

Thanks again, Ian!