5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2K truncating file names

I admit this is a weird situation, and I really don't expect an answer. I just thought I would throw this out on the off chance that it's a FAQ, because you could write several large books about what I don't know about making web sites.

Others in my office have created a set of web pages in Frontpage 2K. There's no web server, users just open the files on a network server volume (Netware 6sp4) using IE.

On these pages are links to shortcut (lnk) files that open Word 2000 documents that the users edit and save (files are open in a separate word window).

The complaint is that when Windows 2000 users save the Word file, it truncates the filename to it's 8.3 equivalent file name.

Like I said, nutty.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2K truncating file names

Have you contacted Novell about this, I would think it is a Netware issue?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gee, I don't know. Not that Netware NSS/Windows 2k/Nerware client combination hasn't caused all kinds of havoc and mayhem in the past, but since all of our file/print is on Netware servers, I try to keep on top of all those sorts of issue, and I've not seen any problems that remind me of something like this.

But, I may have made an assumption, (never assume - always check - Marsenko), and not gone to a win2K machine and reproduced the problem myself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We seem to have identified a cause (or at least one). The files that are opened are called from a shortcut that points to a Word file with a long (9 characters) , that's buried rather deep in a senseless directory structure. Windows XP opens the file with the correct name, Windows 2000 doesn't for some reason. The first workaround we are trying is just shortening the names to <8 characters.

Ultimately, the solution is that I'll have to rework the web pages in a rational, organized manner and have it hosted on a real web server. Unfortunately, I really don't know much about that. <g>