2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office files after crash (Office 2K, XP Home)

My computer crashed last week, and I pulled data off the hard drive before reformatting it. I moved the XP hard drive to my old Win 2K machine and copied the data over into one big folder. Then I used the recovery disk to wipe the XP machine and reset everything. I have been pulling data over my home network from the Win2K machine to the XP machine. I got most of the files I needed, but I'm finding odd behavior in some of my Office files (but not all).

First, the old Outlook PST file gave me an odd error when I tried to open it ("Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use."). The Inbox Repair tool found errors, but the repaired file had less than a tenth of the original data on it.

Then, a key Excel spreadsheet gave me an error: ("[file name] cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may be not be responding."). Of course, it is not marked read-only and is not in a read-only location or on a server. I cannot open this file at all, even using some of Pieterse's Excel tricks that Hans pointed me to.

Now, when opening a Word doc, it asked for my O2K disk and loaded a converter. It then showed me a dialog I've NEVER seen and asked me to "Choose the encoding to use for loading this file". In the list of encoding options are several Unicode choices and a number of languages. Whatever I choose, I get the original text (no formatting) and a bunch of mixed up characters.

There is obviously some pattern to what's going on--I just don't know what it is. I get similar results on both the Win2K and XP Home machines--these files give errors on both machines. Did my data get "a little" corrupted? Did something happen in the copy process?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office files after crash (Office 2K, XP Home)

Hi Bob:
    It sounds like there is some corruption, which is certainly possible when copying between 2 machines. It also may have happened when you're computer crashed, if part of your disk was damaged. I take it that you have no other backups for these files, as that would be one solution.

For Word files, your best bet may be to open it using the option to "recover text from any file". It may be that you've accidentally set Word to open files that way (the setting is sticky). It is found under File/Open...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office files after crash (Office 2K, XP Home)

I am somewhat sceptical aas to whether it would have made any difference, but you could have tried to defragment the XP hard drive before trying to move any data off it. HTH
    Gre