New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Word, Excel... (XP)

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who has experienced this problem.....Over the past several months, whenever I try to open 1 of the office products, such as word or excel, it has been taking longer and longer to open. I built my PC about a year ago and put a LOT of money into it, with all top of the line hardware (so I know that is not a factor). I have all the necessary security software and there are no viruses, trojan horses, spyware, etc on the machine. Is there a setting somewhere in Office that is causing this?? Any help is appreciated.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Word, Excel... (XP)

Two things come to mind immediately.
    1. Make sure that in Outlook, under Tools/Options/Preferences tab/Journal Options..., that you have them set NOT to record.
    2. Also, have you done a scandisk & defrag lately?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also, if you use Norton / Symantec Anti Virus, make sure that the Office Plugin is not activated. In the Norton Anti Virus main window, click Options, then Miscellaneous to check this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I don't use Outlook on my PC, so that wouldn't apply. I defrag daily with Diskkeeper so that is out as well. But...I do use Symantec, so I'll check for the office plugin-

Thanks for the tips.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you don't use Outlook, journaling might be on (I think it is on by default), and Outlook happens to be the place to turn it off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Outlook even installed on the PC.....but, on the other hand, I disabled the Office Plug-in as you suggested and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it worked. As long as you keep NAV's AutoProtect on, Office documents will still be protected against viruses.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used the suggestion about norton anti-virus and it solved the problem this was referring to - last week I got an auto update fromNorton and this morning had to reapply the fix discussed in this thread.

Tom