Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Returning Password (XP SP2)

I have a two part question. Assuming that I have an Access database containing a User's e-mail address and a password:

How do I get the user input from the user interface on a website into Access?

How do I find the Password field from the user's e-mail address?

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Returning Password (XP SP2)

No idea about the first question.

Say that you have stored the e-mail addresses in a table tblMail with fields EMail and Password. You can then use

DLookup("Password", "tblMail", "[EMail] = " & Chr(34) & <userinput> & Chr(34))

to retrieve the password belonging to the e-mail address. The <userinput> can be a string variable or a form control containing a string, depending on how the first question is answered.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Returning Password (XP SP2)

Actually, when we take the approach you are investigating, we usually have an ASP page that actually appends a record to a table that is a request for passwords, and we then have a task which runs periodically that looks at any records in the table that have not been processed, finds the password or assigns a new one randomly, and generates an email to the email address submitted.

There are some issues to be dealt with however - what happens when a person wants to change their email address? And how do you deal with bounced emails? Finally, emailed passwords aren't terribly secure, so some people feel you are taking an unreasonable risk in emailing them.
    Wendell