5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Database Error (2003)

I've tried to print a report in a database, and get the attatched error message. The form from which the report comes seems ok. They are release notes, and when I try to print others, there's no problem, just the one. Any ideas? I've tried compact and repair, with no success.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Error (2003)

Unfortunately, the message you get when Access crashes is not informative, and clicking "What data does this error report contain" won't help either, in general.

First question is: have you applied SP1 for Office 2003? There are lots of bug fixes in this service pack.

There might be some kind of corruption in the report that 'Compact and Repair' doesn't detect. Would it be a lot of work to create a new version of the report from scratch?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't applied Service Pack 1. And creating the report from scratch would cause me some grief. I have a copy of the database, that as far as I can see is working, but the data is not up to date. Importing/Exporting all the tables/modules would also be time conuming, but if that is the answer. I just wondered if it was the table that was at fault, and exporting it would cause more problems.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would apply SP1 in any case.

If the table can be opened without problem, and the form based on the table too, the problem would seem to be in the report. I would do the following:
    - Create a new blank database.
    - Import all tables from the problem database into this database.
    - Create a new copy of the working backup version with the out-of-date data.
    - Delete all tables from this copy.
    - Link (don't import) all tables from the newly created database into this copy.
    - You now have a split database setup, with a backend containing only tables, and a frontend containing links to the tables, plus all other database objects.
    - Give each user a copy of the frontend.
    - If there are problems in the future, it will probably affect only the backend OR the frontend. That makes it much easier to handle.
    - From now on, create frequent backups.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I'll try what you suggest.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just created a blank database, started importing the tables as you suggested, and got the same error.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, one of the tables is probably corrupt after all. Two things you can try:
    - Download Jetcomp.exe from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center; this utility can sometimes repair databases that the internal 'Compact and Repair' cannot handle.
    - Try to import the data into Excel (Data | Get External Data | New Database Query...); the ODBC driver operates at a low level and may be able to get at the data.
    If both fail, you are out of luck. Going back to the most recent non-corrupt backup you have is the best you can do, but of course, you will have lost data.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I get an 'error compacting database' using Jet, but it doesn't give me an error number. Guess we're going to have to lose alot of data.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sad but true.

I strongly recommend that you switch to a split frontend/backend setup. It reduces the chance of corruption and has other advantages too. See <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile>'s tutorial Why Split a Database?.