4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Desktop Shortcuts (2003 11/5614.5703)

I posted this <!post=problem,406680>problem<!/post> a few weeks ago on the Windows XP board. I got a few helpful suggestions, but no magical answeres. It now appears to be unique to Access, so I'll try here. Also, I have a little more data which may help identify the problem.

If I try to launch an Access .mdb file from a shortcut (the shortcut can be anywhere -- on the desktop, on the taskbar, or elsewhere), the application starts and the .mdb file loads and starts up, but I get the following message: "Windows cannot find <pathfilename>. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file..." alert box. I click OK and everything's okay after that. If I go to the file itself and double-click on it or use Access's "File...Open..." I don't get the message. Shortcuts for other applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) don't exhibit this strange behavior.

Now, if I go into the shortcut properties, the "Target" field contains the full pathfile specification for the .mdb file (in quotes), which is normal. If I insert in front of this the full pathfile specification for MSACCESS.EXE (also in quotes) and then use the shortcut, I don't get the message! (It does appear that it takes longer for everything to load, but this may be coincidence or circumstantial).

Any ideas what's causing this, or how I can use a normal shortcut without getting the annoying message?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Desktop Shortcuts (2003 11/5614.5703)

It's strange that the error occurs when you launch a shortcut, but not when you double-click a database directly. As far as I know, the underlying mechanism is the same. So I don't think the following will yield much, but it won't take long.
    - Start Windows Explorer.
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the File Types tab.
    - Locate and select the MDB (Access database) item.
    - Click Edit... (or Advanced..., if you're using Windows XP)
    - Open should be bolded in the list of available actions, indicating that it's the default action.
    - Select Open, then click Edit...
    - What is listed in the various boxes?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is just a suspicion (or maybe a wild guess), but it sounds like the location for the default security file may be goobered up in the registry. Is the database you are trying to use need a security file?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Here are the parameters for the Open action:

Action: &Open
    Application used to perform action: "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office 2003OFFICE11MSACCESS.EXE" /NOSTARTUP "<pct.>1"
    Use DDE (check box): Checked
    DDE Message: [SetForeground][ShellOpenDatabase "<pct>1"]
    Application: Msaccess
    DDE Application Not Running: [SHELLNOOP]
    Topic: ShellSystem

Note: I typed <pct> above (in two places) instead of the percent sign since the latter messes up the formating of this message.

Wendell suggested this may be a problem with the security file or its reference(s) in the Registry. I am working on a application that has its own user-level security file (.mdw) but for all my other stuff I'm just using the default system.mdw that's buried down in the "Cocuments and Settings<MyName>Application DataMicrosoftAccess" folder.

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Tom,

The parameters for the Open action are exactly the same as on my system, given that I use Access 2002 and you Access 2003, so that is not the cause of the problem. I'll try to find more info, but for the moment I'm stumped.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for checking, Hans. Like I said, I have a workaround by specifying "...MSACCESS.EXE" at the beginning of the shortcut target field -- but I'm still very curious as to what's causing this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I believe there is a known issue with Access any time you specify any startup parameters that you have to include the path to the MSACCESS.EXE file. Would that explain the situation you are seeing?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

I think my original post <!post=above,412758>above<!/post> and the one referenced therein describe exactly what I'm seeing. I get the alert for any "most simple" access shortcut (the only item in the target field is the full .mdb pathfile reference enclosed in quotes), it goes away when I add the preceeding reference to MSACCESS.EXE.

What additional information would be of help?

Thanks for checking into this,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Wendell mentioned in his post above, if you include a command line argument of any kind in a shortcut, you have to include the full path and filename of the executable. As far as I know, this has always been the case with Access.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Right, I do that when I include the reference to MSACCESS.EXE to get rid of the annoying alert message. It's something like "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office 2003OFFICE11MSACCESS.EXE". When I leave this off and there's just the full path and filename for the .mdb file (as is the default when Windows XP creates the shortcut); that's when I get the alert message saying it can't find the file (but opens up the database anyway).