3 Star Lounger
    Costa Rica

Unable to Send Mail (Outlook 2003)

I have Windows XP Home SP1, IE 6.0 & MS Office 2003.
    This is a new computer, operating system and software for me. The computer technician is having difficulty resolving problems with Outlook 2003. I have moved from Colorado to Costa Rica, and there are some difficulties here with the newer software as well as English as a language. All my programs and operating system are in English.
    We did finally get Outlook working correctly for both receiving and sending mail - for 3 days. Suddenly, I can receive my mail, but I can't send anything without it coming back without being delivered. I am getting 2 different messages:
    One says "None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient"
    The other says,
    "The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. ... The server responded: 553 sorry, you have not authenticated for relay and [email address of whoever] is not a local address. (#5.7.1)

I can read my mail on the Web and send messages from there. But I cannot reply to messages that I have brought into Outlook. The same thing happened with my subscription to WOW - I got the confirmations, but could never send the response because I had already brought them into Outlook and couldn't respond. (This time, I will go on the web site and confirm first, so that I can get the newsletters!)
    I have only 1 email account.
    If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. My server, ARCR (an association for ex-patriots here in Costa Rica) doesn't seem to get back to people very soon - they are pretty busy, I guess. I will, however, contact them with this as well in hopes of getting some response soon.
    Thank you for your assistance,
    Julia Henson

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Unable to Send Mail (Outlook 2003)

Under the "More Settings" button in the Email Account settings dialog are the authentication settings for outgoing mail. Usually the ISP provides detailed information about which username and password to use, which ports or protocols, and so forth. If you still have that information from your initial install, double-check to make sure that still is set up correctly. Otherwise, you might need to check with your ISP to get it.