New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow query (1997)

I am working on a query which has 18 smaller queries that are joined together. Out of the 18 queries, I am adding 1 field of each query to design the large query. When I run the query using 15 fields of the 18 queries then I get results. However if I add more fields to the large query then it continues to run forever. Is there a limit to the fields one can add in the design view? And if so how can I alleviate this problem?

Thanks,

Ben

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow query (1997)

You will have to tell us in more detail how the queries are designed and how they are joined in the large query.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The queries are linked together by physician and each of the individual queries gives me a count of a certain measure which has a parameter of either yes,no, or n/a. Here is the SQL.
    SELECT [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#], [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD Name], [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].Cases, Qry_dc14_attending_na.[dc14n/a], Qry_dc14_attending_no.dc14no, Qry_DC14_attending_yes.dc14yes, [Qry_handP24_attending_n/a].[HandP24_n/a], Qry_handP24_attending_no.HandP24_no, Qry_handp24_attending_yes.HandP24_yes, [Qry_HandP_attending_n/a].[HandP_n/a], Qry_HandP_Attending_no.HandP_no, Qry_HandP_Attending_Yes.HandP_yes, [Qry_IC_attending_n/a].[IC_n/a], Qry_IC_attending_no.IC_no, Qry_IC_attending_yes.IC_yes
    FROM ((((((((((((((((([Qry_Attending_Summary Rules] LEFT JOIN Qry_dc14_attending_na ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_dc14_attending_na.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_dc14_attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_dc14_attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_DC14_attending_yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_DC14_attending_yes.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN [Qry_handP24_attending_n/a] ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD Name] = [Qry_handP24_attending_n/a].[MD Name]) LEFT JOIN Qry_handP24_attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_handP24_attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_handp24_attending_yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_handp24_attending_yes.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN [Qry_HandP_attending_n/a] ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = [Qry_HandP_attending_n/a].[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_HandP_Attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_HandP_Attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_HandP_Attending_Yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_HandP_Attending_Yes.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN [Qry_IC_attending_n/a] ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = [Qry_IC_attending_n/a].[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_IC_attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_IC_attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_IC_attending_yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_IC_attending_yes.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_postop_attending_na ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_postop_attending_na.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_postop_attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_postop_attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_postop_attending_yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_postop_attending_yes.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN [Qry_progress_attending_n/a] ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = [Qry_progress_attending_n/a].[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_progress_attending_no ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_progress_attending_no.[MD#]) LEFT JOIN Qry_progress_attending_yes ON [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#] = Qry_progress_attending_yes.[MD#]
    GROUP BY [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD#], [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].[MD Name], [Qry_Attending_Summary Rules].Cases, Qry_dc14_attending_na.[dc14n/a], Qry_dc14_attending_no.dc14no, Qry_DC14_attending_yes.dc14yes, [Qry_handP24_attending_n/a].[HandP24_n/a], Qry_handP24_attending_no.HandP24_no, Qry_handp24_attending_yes.HandP24_yes, [Qry_HandP_attending_n/a].[HandP_n/a], Qry_HandP_Attending_no.HandP_no, Qry_HandP_Attending_Yes.HandP_yes, [Qry_IC_attending_n/a].[IC_n/a], Qry_IC_attending_no.IC_no, Qry_IC_attending_yes.IC_yes;
    I hope this is enough information.

Ben

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

With all those left joins, the number of record combinations that have to be checked increases very fast with the number of joins. I fear that Access just bogs down with 18 joins.