5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remove users from Access Database (2000)

Hi,
    Is there any way that I could have a control that once clicked, sends a message to users that they will be removed from the database in two minutes?
    I am finding that in several of my networked databases that I am unable to redesign certain key elements as users have accessed them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Remove users from Access Database (2000)

Nothing in Access will really support sending a message to users, so that would need to be done with an external tool - there are several simple message products that pop a message up on a user's screen. I really can't recommend any of them as we don't use that approach however. There are also some tools that can be used to shut down a database - I believe FMS offers on in particular that is pretty robust.

However, you question suggests that you are either using a single database (not a front-end back-end arrangement) or you are using a single shared front-end rather than having it deployed to the workstation. We always configure a front-end on the user workstation so we can deploy changes in a graceful fashion rather than kicking all users out of the database. FMS does provide a tool for doing that, and we have one we developed in-house. The problem with other approaches is that someone is always away from their desk and has the database open - we've been there in an 80 user environment and it isn't fun!
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you are correct. A single database is being used on a system that is networked. The actual database is only used by 5 people, although around 80 can access and use it.

It is just an annoyance that users who have clearly finished their work and left with the database still running are not able to be 'kicked out' so that I can amend design aspects.

Thanks

You might want to take a look at this thread about <!post=using a timer to detect inactivity,250847>using a timer to detect inactivity<!/post>, which you can use to kick out the users who do not put their toys away properly!
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that this is something that I will implement in the database as it makes sense to kick out people after they have cleared off to get food, smoke, gamble, etc.
    It just seems odd that Access can count a user out dependant on a preset time elapsing, but cannot kick a user from a database if the designer so wishes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access is not a database server system. Each instance of Access runs locally, so you must use tricks to do things like logging other users off.

This newsgroup post gives a fairly complete description of a method to throw users out using a dedicated table and a form with a timer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Hans, I've placed the necessary into one of my databases and it sort of works. Well it throws me off anyway but no one else.
    I presume this relates to the networking as opposed to the coding. I think I may leave this on the backburner for a while........

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The form with the timer should be in the frontend the users have. You, as designer, should have a separate "management" database. Both should be linked to a backend database with the data.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahh, that'll be where the problem lays!!!
    I shall try this.