4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Textbox/Header (Word97/SR-2)

Hi, again...Re: Textbox/Header/Table moving in

The answer to this is probably most obvious, but...

The attached is my layout, which will be used in a file that

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Textbox/Header (Word97/SR-2)

The reason you can't move to the next page is that you don't have enough text on the first page. The text boxes are floating, & as such, don't take up "space". If you go to the beginning of your document (Ctrl+Home) & press Ctrl+Enter (page break), you'll be on the next page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by curious on 01-Oct-04 17:23. P.S. Do I want the boxes to be floating?)</P>(Speedy) Phil -

Thanks for your post. The table was filled in with text down to 6"... I played with the file a bit more and found inserting a Brea/Next page worked. But, the 3rd Textbox/Table didn't get copied over, only the 1st two boxes...Make sense?

Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

On my Word 2000, whether I use Ctrl+Enter or use a Next page section break, all 3 text boxes come over to the 2nd page.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I may have misread your previous post. The 3rd text box/table is not in the header of the document, & so won't be repeated on each page. If you want it on each page, then you must place it in the header or footer area.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil - I apologize. I had created so many 'play' files that I sent the wrong one. Sorry! The attachment is what the layout is like. I do find that Insert/Page Break works, but IS there a way to hit Enter a few times to get to the 2nd pg?

Also, I find that at times if I want to edit a textbox, I have to go to click within the Header to activate the box. Is this correct? And, if so, why?

I'm thinking of keeping the lst 2 textboxes and not placing the table within a 3rd box, but copying the table for the subsequent pages and playing with the margins to get it very close to the 2nd textbox....Or just copying the page and then do the edits....

Again, I do thank you for your patience and time.

Curious

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Afternoon - I have another problem I should have anticipated:

Since I have the textboxes anchored to the Header, I cannot change the Bates number for each page. This info, along with other info, is in the first textbox. I tried Seq field, to no avail.

Then I tried to create a separate textbox that would hold the Bates #, but this box was still somehow linked to the header, so the same number entered recurred on subsequent pages.

Perhaps I am better off just copying each page and then editing as needed....?

Thanks for any insight. Curious

And that Anchor symbol: what is it telling me?

Thanks

You could create an equation adding a starting number to the page number:

{ =200 + {PAGE } - 1 }

Would give you 200, 201, etc., assuming the page numbering has not been changed from its default.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> And that Anchor symbol: what is it telling me?

If you select a text box, picture or other floating object, the anchor shows you to which paragraph the object belongs. Each floating object is attached to a paragraph; if the paragraph moves to another page, the object moves with it, and if you delete the paragraph, you delete the object with it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. I did find out, the hard way, that deleting the Anchor deletes the object. I have decided to create 2 text boxes and a table NOT as part of the Header, and then copying the page.

In Word 97, when I was in the Format Autoshape box, the Float Over Text box was grayed, so I didn't think the boxes were Floating objects.

Whatever, I thank all for your responses.

Curious

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And, thank you, again, Jefferson. I couldn't figure out how to use your suggested equation in the textbox to hold the Bates numbers, so I shall change them manually in the individual text box I have decided to use, rather than creating the box as part of the Header. Another question, please, for future reference:

When the Textbox was created as part of the Header, I tried to create another one below it to hold the numbers, but this was still considered by Word as being part of the Header. How does one "unlink" an item, in this case my new Textbox, from the Header?

Thank you for your time,
    Curious

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The way to "unlink" a text box from the header is to select it, cut it to the clipboard, close Header/Footer view, and paste it into the body of the document. Not sure if that is what you want, though.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Yes, that's what I want. I thought I had tried that when I was "playing" [some playing] with the file, but after reading your post and after a night's sleep, I tried it again and it does as you posted. Thank you, Hans.

Curious