New Lounger
    Thanks

Better error messages (Access 2003)

I'm trying to import an Excel table into Access and it fails with an error saying "an error occurred importing file X. File was not imported.
    That's pretty unhelpful. How do I get it to be more verbose? Perhaps telling me which column or row was the problem so that I can actually troubleshoot it..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Better error messages (Access 2003)

If Access doesn't provide more information than that, I don't think you can get at the details. If there were a problem in a specific row or column, the table would probably be imported, and a table ImportErrors would be created with information about the rows or columns that caused problems. Here, the problem apparently is more fundamental, since the table was not imported at all. You could still check if an ImportErrors table was created.

Some things to check:
    Are you trying to import into an existing table or into a new table? If into an existing table, perhaps the primary key couldn't be populated.
    Does the Excel table contain hidden rows or columns? The import routine doesn't like that.
    Same for merged cells.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. It's an existing table. And no ImportErrors table was created. I have imported it into an entirely new table, and compared it column by column and just don't see any differences. No the Excel table doesn't contain any hidden columns. I've even copied and pasted the column headers out of the table I want to import to with no better success - but at least it eliminates one more possible error. It will allow duplicate keys, so that's an unlikely error.

Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently, you are able to import the Excel file into a new table. Can you transfer the records from this table into the target table using an append query?