4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New program kicks off old program's installer (VB6 SR5)

I'm not sure whether this is a VB question, OS question, Windows installer question or Installshield question, but i'll go for it anyway.

I have a program that I made in VB and created an installshield project for. This program got distributed and installed by some reps.

I made another program, completely seperate of the first, the only thing in common is the signiture it uses (that box that comes up if you run a program off the web).

This only seems to happen for people running XP service pack 2, but when they run the new app from our website, it kicks off the old app's installer! Furthermore, after that has happened, the old app kicks off the installer too!!!

I've seen this happen with office premier before, where any MS program you run kicks off the premiere install, and after cancelling it a number of times, you're program eventually runs.

Firstly, how can I stop this happening in the future?

Secondly how can I stop it happening on peoples machines that already have it happening?

This is quite urgent as I know i'm going to have a load of reps phoning me first thing monday morning, so ANY clues at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: New program kicks off old program's installer

Any chance they share a GUID for some component? I think the installer probably is fairly stupid about text strings, but would try to relate two GUIDs.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I dont think it uses the same GUIDs, however, I think I have a lead....

The program that is ran from the web deletes 2 of the files from the original programs install and copies new ones from our FTP site. I think the MSI package is noticing the change and trying to re-install the old files.

The official fix would probably be to create an updater to update the files properly, but we dont really want to go down the updater route using MSI's et al.
    I'm following this line of thought at the moment and trying to work out how to turn off the part of the MSI that detects the changes - not even sure if thats possible, but I have to give it a go before going down the route of building a specific updater.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I seem to have fixed the problem. By using the kill command to delete 2 files, the MSI noticed their disappearance and launched the installer whenever the .exe was launched.
    I didnt realise that using the wininet ftp download overwrites files automatically, so losing the kill command wasnt an issue and solved the problem.