New Lounger
    Thanks

Image Files (XP-SP2)

Afer installing SP2, the PC starts 'humming' whenever an
    image file is selected or an attempt made to open.
    This freezes up the PC and have to do restart everytime.
    Also noticed similar humming in Explorer when going to
    tools/folder options/file types and clicking randomly at
    some file extensions.

Tried all the following to no avail:

1. Ran Spybot & Lavasoft Adawre
    2. System file checker > "SFC /SCANNOW"

Help Appreciated...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image Files (XP-SP2)

Click Start | Run, type
    eventvwr
    and hit Enter. In Event Viewer, do you see any errors (red Xes and yellow excamation signs) under Application and System? If so, double-click such event and post the description, please.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am at work right now, I will give it a try when I get home and let you know. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here is what I found under Applications:

Warnings:
    Source: Userenv (2 listings)
    Windows saved user JAYJay registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Source:WinMgmt
    A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, rootRSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

Errors:
    Source: Application Hang (9 listings)
    Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Source: Application Error
    Faulting application vsmon.exe, version 5.1.33.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00011c29.

Here is what I found under Systems:

Errors
    Source: Disk (numerous listings)
    The device, DeviceHarddisk0D, has a bad block.

There was no events under 'Security'.

Hope this is what you need, thanks again.

Thanks

I'm not a guru and I suspect one of the Lounge's gurus will be weighing in on this shortly. I'm only posting to say it sounds to me like you have one or more bad areas on your hard drive. In that case I'm guessing the gurus will be advising you to run chkdsk, but that's a little tricky in that there are various options, so don't do it until you hear more.

The only reason for this post is to advise you, while you're waiting for the real advice, to back up your hard drive if you don't have a recent backup. Sometimes hard drives have a few bad spots and the PC can find them and mark them unusable and then you can use the hard drive for years. But other times, when a hard drive is going bad, it can be a progressive condition and it can get worse pretty fast.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your original post sounds like a description of a hard disk that is failing.
    Your eventlog shows disk errors.
    You need to back up all your data as soon as you possibly can.

I would then buy a new disk and get rid of the failing one. Others might recommend that you try repairs on the disk that you already have (using tools like chkdsk) but if you value your data then this is risky. Typical failure mode for a modern disk is for the surface to start flaking and then suddenly it goes catastrophically - you may be living on borrowed time.

StuartR