New Lounger
    Thanks

Backing up Software

Hi. I recently needed to reinstall Windows98. I found that my CD was damaged/scratched and I could not use it. A friend offered to loan me a copy of his Windows98 CD and we copied it onto a blank CD. However, I was not able to install the software because Windows realised that it was not an authentic CD. So I was really stuck, because I could not reinstall Windows, and could not buy a new CD anywhere. For future use, I was wondering how do I keep a usable backup copy of software?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Backing up Software

If your friend had an OEM Win98 CD you might not be able to use it. Legally you should not as OEM software is typically licensed only to the PC it was sold with. You could try contacting MS for a new CD if it was a full product CD to begin with. In the future, you should be able to use any commercial CD copying software to make a backup copy.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Joe is right about both the possibility that the OEM version might be machine specific and the fact that you should contact MS to see if they will help you. It's always possible that if you mail them the damaged CD as proof of ownership they will replace it. I just recently had a smillar thing happen to me and luckily I did have a backup copy which worked flawlessly.

Assuming that you DO have your original license key, you could try the install again with your friend's original CD. You know of course that it's clearly a violation if you don't have YOUR license. It also depends on whether his copy is a "full" install version or an upgrade version. You might want to do a little web searching on that topic to see what the "angles" are for getting around that problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It's my understanding that MSFT does not offer replacement media for products that are no longer supported, e.g.,Office 97.
    I suspect that Win 98 is in the same boat.

Thanks

You could try one of those "DVD rescue" devices that "shaves" the disc to get rid of scratches. Probably could be found in a consumer electronics store, or at a computer store.