New Lounger
    Thanks

DDE error message (Windows XP - Word 2000)

I'm a new subscriber so I apologize in advance if this question has been answered (quite likely, I'm sure) previously. I work at a college, so we are networked. My colleague created a merge document that he has used with various data sources .The data soureces have been extracted from our Oracle database and put into excel spreadsheets for review and for merging. He has done this successfully for 8 or ten times. The last time, when he tried to merge with a different data source got the 'Unable to establish a DDE connection' error message. The only help i could find was to open the merge document, , select edit, then links and make the changes. However, I was unable to do so. I tried to copy his document and paste it into a new document, but nothing worked. How can I/he change the link?
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DDE error message (Windows XP - Word 2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

To change the data source for a mail merge, select Tools | Mail Merge... You can select a different data source in the second step.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If DDE, which is one method that Word can use to get its data from Excel, fails it is sometimes because it cannot get Excel to open the document. From what I have read, this could be due to the excel spreadsheet already being open (ensure it is closed). Also, could be related to low system resources - try rebooting your system. Otherwise, you may need to change the method it is using to link to the data source. To do so, check the "select method" box in the Open Data Source dialog box when you set up the data source for the merge. You should see several methods depending on what is installed on your system, i.e., Microsoft Excel Worksheet via converter; MS Excel Worksheets via DDE;
    Excel Files via ODBC. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I tried this method first. However, when I click on open data source, and select the excel file I want, I still get the same error message. It seems as though this document is 'associated' with an earlier data source and won't let me merge it to another, and yet it can't find the first (because it was on a colleague's drive).
    Thanks.
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following then:
    - Open the document.
    - Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor. (Don't worry, we're not going to program)
    - Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
    - Type the following, or copy it from this post into the Immediate window:

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdNotAMergeDocument

- With the insertion point in that line, press Enter.
    - This will remove the data source and make the document into a "normal", non-merge document.
    - You should now be able to start the mail merge wizard from scratch.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. THat worked. I appreciate your help.

Deb

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Trish
    Word did let me do that - however, it got so bogged down, it stopped. I think it may have something to do with the way our network is configured. Thanks. I was able to get it running by inserting some visual basic commands that Hans sent me. I appreciate your help and input.
    Deb